From VMware to AWS: Get Real-Time Hybrid Cloud Today with Velostrata
October 21, 2016
VMware and AWS recently announced a partnership that will allow VMware customers to (eventually) run an application across vSphere-based private, public and hybrid cloud environments.
We at Velostrata recognize the customer demand that is driving this functionality. The ability to extend the data center to public clouds is an obvious advantage for companies in terms of business agility and responsiveness, and for some applications, will also be more cost-effective. These are the reasons we built Velostrata.
We also believe that our approach has some significant advantages over what is being proposed by VMware Cloud on AWS.
Multi-Vendor Hybrid Cloud. Available Today.
Velostrata software makes it possible to move workloads from VMware on-premises to AWS EC2 or Azure, in a matter of minutes. If you’d like to learn more about how we do this, you can download an architecture whitepaper. Because of this architecture and robust feature set, Velostrata’s workload mobility software platform is uniquely able to help enterprises build a real-time hybrid cloud. Velostrata advantages include:
- Faster, by orders of magnitude: Velostrata can deliver migration performance 600x faster than vMotion, while requiring far less bandwidth, making it possible to truly leverage public cloud on demand. We recently did a comparison test to move a multi-tier app with 2 VMs and 1TB storage from our data center to AWS EC2 using a 40 Mbps link. With Velostrata, the workload was running in the cloud in 6 minutes, where with vMotion, the same transfer will take 60 hours. Velostrata’s unique workload streaming makes it possible to move any VM—regardless of data size—in a matter of minutes.
- Highly Scalable: With Velostrata, you can migrate 200 VMs simultaneously using the same bandwidth as a single VM migrated with vMotion. Velostrata’s patent-pending WAN optimizations, including cross-VM de-duplication become even more effective with multi-VM migrations.
- Multi–Cloud: No more vendor lock-in. Move workloads to AWS, back on premises, or to Azure in minutes, using the same management controls. Velostrata integrates into vCenter, making it easy to control both on-premises and cloud workloads from a single interface. Comprehensive Runbook Automation makes it easy to orchestrate migration, even for multi-tier applications.
- More Cost-Effective: Velostrata is priced per VM/Hour, whereas with VMware Cloud on AWS, customers must rent an entire cluster. No additional VMware licenses are needed, as Velostrata automatically adapts the workload to run natively on AWS EC2.
- True Hybrid Cloud: VMware Cloud on AWS runs side-by-side with AWS EC2 cloud, so it’s parallel infrastructure, not hybrid. Velostrata runs and migrates workloads into the native cloud target (AWS or Azure), so applications can be fully integrated with networking, security policies, services and other cloud-born or Marketplace applications in the same AWS VPC or Azure VNET, enabling true hybrid operation.
- Overcomes Data Gravity: Because Velostrata decouples compute from storage, customers can choose to keep data on-premises while compute runs in the cloud – without degrading application performance. If customers want to fully migrate an application to AWS or Azure, compute is moved quickly, while data is migrated in the background as applications run in cloud. Data changes in the cloud are automatically reflected in the virtual disks on-prem, which makes it possible to quickly move workloads back to the data center (or to another cloud service provider) if business needs change or to handle a network or cloud outage. With vMotion, you must plan a full migration back.
Whether you are interested in leveraging public cloud for capacity on demand, or for full migration, Velostrata provides the fastest, most scalable platform to enable a multi-vendor hybrid cloud.